Asus has confirmed the Oreo release for its ZenFone 4 and ZenFone 3 handsets, but by not including the ZenFone 2 in the announcement, they have made it clear that they do not plan to release the Android 8.0 for the ZenFone 2 series. Which is fair, after all, the ZenFone 2 devices are no longer eligible for the device being more than 2 years old now.
Anyway, all is not lost for the ZenFone 2 users, as their device could still see a day in Oreo update, thanks to custom ROM community. In fact, the ZenFone 2 Laser and ZenFone 2 Selfie users can do so now, as the LineageOS 15.0 ROM is now available for their device already.
FYI, the LineageOS 15.0 ROM is based on Android 8.0 OS by Google, and brings in lots of customization and additional features to your device. The ROM might not be very stable as of today, September 2, 2017, but over the course of time, bugs would be quashed and ROM should be pretty good daily driver.
Asus ZenFone 2 Laser LineageOS 15.0 ROM [Android 8.0 Oreo]
- LineageOS 15.0 for ZenFone 2 Laser
- Oreo Gapps (Use ARM64 type)
- TWRP Recovery 3.1.1-0:
How to Install the LineageOS 15.0 on Asus ZenFone 2 Laser/Selfie
Note: Before starting on the installation procedure below, be sure to install the required new TWRP recovery on your device, as given in the downloads section above. Here’s how to install TWRP recovery.
Also, do check out the ‘What’s not working’ section at the source page below to find out the issues with the ROM at the given moment.
- Download and transfer the Lineage OS ROM zip file and Gapps file that you downloaded above to your ZenFone 2.
- Boot your ZenFone 2 into TWRP recovery.
- Select Wipe from TWRP main menu and do a Swipe to Factory Reset on the bottom of screen. [Clean install is recommended, wipe everything except internal storage.]
- Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on Install and select the Lineage OS .zip file that you transferred to your ZenFone 2 in Step 1.
- After selecting the .zip file, do Swipe to Confirm Flash on the bottom of screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. This may take some time.
- Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see Wipe cache/dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe on bottom of screen.
- Now, install the Gapps file the same way you installed the ROM file.
- After flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps, reboot your ZenFone 2.