The update sadly doesn’t mention any feature upgrades, and the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge remain on Android Nougat for now; the update to Oreo will likely appear around Q2 next year.
You can look out for the Verizon update rolling out to your handset within the next days, and we’ll keep you informed on any news regarding Oreo as we get it. Head below for more information on the latest Galaxy s7 and S7 Edge updates.
Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Android update tracker page. This page covers all major U.S. carriers with a quick reference table for each and a log with links to further details. It will be regularly updated with the latest Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge update information.
The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge tend to receive their updates simultaneously – or at least very close together. For this reason, they both appear here on this update page. Also, note that we won’t be covering general security patches in our list, unless they include something particularly relevant.
We recommend you bookmark this page so you can stay up to date with the very latest updates.
Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge Android Oreo update
The Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge have been up and running with Android Nougat since earlier this year, and now attention is turning towards Android 8.0 Oreo. Both the S7 and S7 Edge should be due to receive the update to Oreo, as they began life with Android Marshmallow, but there are no guarantees right now — Samsung hasn’t confirmed which devices will receive it. The Nougat rollout to the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge could give us some clues as to when Oreo on the S7 might appear, however.
Nougat landed on the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge between March and June of this year, depending on the carrier and location, following Nougat’s appearance the previous August. With the final Oreo build popping up in August of this year, our best guess right now would be to see it appear on the S7 and S7 Edge starting March 2018.
Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge Update US
|Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge updates – US||Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow||Android 7.0 Nougat||Android 8.0 Oreo|
First carrier to roll it out for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge: T-Mobile (180 days)
Android 8.0 Nougat first available: August 21, 2017
First carrier to roll it out for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge: TBC
Verizon Galaxy S7 (SM-G930V) and Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935V) update:
- March 6, 2017, Verizon became the last of the four major US carriers to roll out Nougat to the S7 and S7 Edge.
- September 1, 2016, improved voice calls, FM Radio, Barcode Beaming functionality and NextRadio app added.
- May 9, 2016, DT Ignite added. Helps Verizon package and install apps on devices. Can’t be removed without root.
Number of days it took Verizon to update to Nougat: 196
AT&T Galaxy S7 (SM-G930A) and Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935A) update:
- July 11, 2017, AT&T provides fixes for calendar and messaging apps, as well as the Samsung Knox security software. Video calling has also been improved.
- February 18, 2017, AT&T began the Nougat update roll out for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.
- July 27, 2016, Wi-Fi calling arrives.
- April 21, 2016, DTV Widget added, better Wi-Fi performance when using BTLE, home and volume key responsiveness improved, other performance enhancements arrive.
Number of days it took T-Mobile to update to Nougat: 181
T-Mobile Galaxy S7 (SM-G930T) and Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935T) update:
- February 17, 2017, T-Mobile became the first U.S. carrier to roll out Nougat for the S7 and S7 Edge.
- November 5, 2016, enabled 256/64 QAM, domestic data roaming improvements, system crash fix.
- May 4, 2016, FM Radio, power and volume key fix, system improvements.
Number of days it took T-Mobile to update to Nougat: 180
Sprint Galaxy S7 (SM-G930P) and Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935P) update:
- February 21, 2017, Sprint started rolling out the final Nougat build to its S7 and S7 Edge beta testers. The OTA rollout to non-beta users is expected soon after and to conclude on February 27.
- May 26, 2016, battery life improvements, Wi-Fi calling added.
Number of days it took Sprint to update to Nougat: 184
International Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F) and Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935P) update:
- March 20, 2017: Nougat arrived to Rogers and Telus in Canada.
- January 17, 2017: Nougat became available for all international unlocked Galaxy S7 and S7 Edges.
- January 12, 2017: Samsung rolled out Nougat for international unlocked devices enrolled in the beta program.
- January 4, 2017: Samsung began a limited soak test for the unlocked S7 and S7 Edge.
- December 21: Vodafone Australia confirmed that the Nougat version they’re testing for the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge is Android 7.0, not Android 7.1.
- December 20: The fourth major beta update has rolled out to the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge for those enrolled in the Galaxy Beta Program. The update removes the Samsung Notes app and a previous mention of the Samsung Experience interface.
- December 16, 2016, Vodafone Australia lists the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge in its weekly software update wrap-up. States “testing in progress”, but doesn’t provide an ETA.
If you’ve received an update we’ve missed, hit the comments below or Tip Us!